The parents of a toddler who died of “excruciating pain” from severe burns after being held under boiling water for soiling his diaper have been detained by a Queensland court, AAP reports.

Two-year-old Maddilyn-Rose Stokes would have screamed in agony when she was held under burning water by her father on May 20, 2017.

The water scalded her back between her legs, and only the balls and heels of her feet escaped the steaming water.

Shane David Stokes, 33, and Nicole Betty Moore, 26, pleaded guilty to the manslaughter of the two-year-old and failed to seek medical attention in the Queensland Supreme Court.

Stokes, 33, admitted causing the injuries that, if left untreated, resulted in full thickness third-degree burns.

The couple refused to seek medical help, researched burns online, and treated their daughter at home with aloe vera gel and bandages.

She died in hospital on May 25 after being found unconscious by paramedics at her family’s Northgate townhouse – five days after she was burned.

Authorities found blood-soaked bandages, toilet paper and mattresses all over the house.

“She would have suffered misery and pain and would not have been able to walk,” said prosecutor Sarah Farnden to the court.

“She would have been dehydrated and weak before she went insane and passed out, before she went into cardiac arrest.”

A blood test showed that the toddler had been given antidepressants prescribed to the father to “calm or calm” the girl before she died.

The couple, sitting in the dock, remained unmoved as their daughter’s catastrophic injuries were exposed throughout the court hearing.

Stokes and Moore hid their daughter’s injuries for five days, fearing child safety interference after Maddilyn-Rose was treated for severe malnutrition as a baby.

If they requested medical intervention immediately, the toddler had a 100% chance of a full recovery.